Sunday, December 11, 2011

A year to the day …

Given my busy schedule, with the baking/shopping/working, and of course Skyrim, it’s hard to believe that I actually had time to notice that a year has passed since that fateful afternoon I spent with Ms L. But I did. In truth it’s hard not remember, given that it coincided with my brother’s birthday. Well technically it was the day before. The fallout started on his birthday. 

So, a year on, where are we? Nowhere.

Whatever friendship there might have been is long since dead. Sad, but such is life. I’ll be honest, part of me is still disappointed at how things turned out. I extended the olive branch more than once, but got nothing back. Given that we are in the same profession, and in the same city, I had hoped we could at least have parted amicably. Nothing makes a conference or industry event more awkward than being introduced to someone who would quite happily scratch your eyes out (I know this from experience, but that’s a story for another time). While the situation hasn’t presented itself yet, I am aware of the possibility, and have prepared a response accordingly.

Long ago I mastered the ancient art of civility. I don’t often practice it outside of work, mostly because my friends accept me for the cranky bastard that I am, but it is a skill I possess. I harbour Ms L no ill will. So if our paths cross, I will smile and nod, engage in polite conversation (if the situation calls for it), and then be on my way.

But I won’t be offering gingerbread. That’s only for my peoples.


3 comments:

  1. And what fantastic Gingerbread it is... especially with bones in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Nick, that is a fantastic attitude to take. There's no need to be rude, but there's also no need to be overly friendly.

    It's funny, but I'm having similar issues at the moment too, trying to be polite, but not going massively out of my way and committing myself to something I don't want to do! So, I'm taking inspiration from you. Gingerbread for my peoples only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm. I have mastered the art of pretending I don't recognise people. But since you can't do that, I think you have a fine plan.

    ReplyDelete