Wednesday, April 14, 2010

twitter and micro blogging (or bamboo under the fingernails)

I am not a fan of twitter. If not for this class I could have successfully lived my life without every have gone anywhere near it. But I did. And, as I’m sure you’ve become accustomed to my brutal honesty, you expect me to start sledging twitter about now ... but I won’t. I just don’t have the energy.

I don’t think it is a generational thing. I really don’t think I’m so old that all new technologies are beyond me. I do think that I have moved beyond the need to know what people are doing every minute of every day. Mind you, I’d live on my own as far as I could get from people if I could. It may seem like an odd statement for someone who works, happily I might add, in a public library. I think we all have that part of our personality that we switch on in order to deal with people face to face in the world at large. It is much harder to maintain that persona when sitting in front of a computer in your pj’s.

Perhaps that is where my reluctance to engage on twitter comes from. It feels like pouring out this part of yourself and then waiting for a response. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you know your friends are waiting for you. It's just not for me. I no longer live in front of my laptop, so might not log on for days. Not the easiest way to have a conversation. But what if you truly have nothing to say? Are you insulting someone by smothering then in the minutia of your everyday life? Or are you (subconsciously or otherwise) waving a very large red flag, warning others of you complete self absorbency?


Either way, I quickly reached my limit. Nothing I saw or read made me wish to continue using twitter. I couldn’t find all the others in my group. I did find others in the class by the “#isys1166”, but again found nothing to hold my attention. (I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. There are other in this class who agree with me, though perhaps I am the only one prepared to be so vocal about it).

I have added links to twitter related things that I did find interesting.



How To Scan Thousands of Tweets Without Tears

Twitter Cruft Remover: I Needs It

Parting is such tweet sorrow: Romeo and Juliet get Twitter treatment

Twitter takes ads

No comments:

Post a Comment