Monday, October 31, 2011

Sitting quietly

I am not very popular with Miss R right now. What have I done? Nothing that I think justifies the wobbly Miss R had. Now it’s no secret that most of us shorten names. Anything two syllables (or longer) is fair game. Miss R does not share this view. In fact she sees my need to shorten names as pathological. She had never had anyone shorten her name before me, and while she is prepared to accept it as something that I do, she’s not happy for anyone else to do it. 


Here’s where it gets tricky. She won’t actually tell anyone that she doesn’t like it. She’s too nice for that sort of directness, (which is probably why she did so well with Japanese). So as the instigator, it’s all my fault, and I will be yelled at accordingly. 


I should point out that I find this all rather amusing. In the grand scheme of things I can’t see any of our friends having an issue with using her whole name, provided she ever works up the courage to tell them. I also know that most of the steam is a result of Miss R not getting enough sleep. However, while she is working on her garden (and has both a sledge hammer and a metal hoe within reach) I am going to stay out of her way. 


Safety first.


2 comments:

  1. Oh noes! [childish horror]

    I am a chronic name-shortener, and I have definitely shortened Miss R's name at least once, probably heaps more often, actually. Oh gosh.

    Righto, won't do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee! Don't worry Ms Reader. I too have done the dreaded shorten.

    It took me years to be ok with my name shortening. Now I insist that people I don't know well/don't trust call me my full name, while loved ones can do as they please.

    ReplyDelete