Thursday, December 30, 2010

tales of blood(bank) and woe

Today was not a good day to bleed. Needle went in fine. First few draws and returns went fine, and then ... blow out. Normally I'm good with pain, but an increase of pressure inside your vein is no normal pain. One of the side effects of a blow out is that stuff leaks. Leaks outside the arm you can mop up. Leaks inside the arm are a little more tricky. I have a combination of blood and anticoagulant (which I already react badly to anyway) that has escaped the vein and is making things uncomfortable under the skin of my left bicep. They tell me to expect bruising. They also said that if at any point I feel tingling in my hand, coldness, or shooting pains, that I should get myself to casualty immediately.

I'm beginning to think that I may just stick to giving plasma. Giving platelets is getting to be hazardous to my health.

2 comments:

  1. No words. The inner parts of my elbows are FREAKING OUT.
    Hope you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still a little swollen, but no bruise yet. Of course the lecture I got when Ren got home didn't help.

    ReplyDelete