Sunday, January 16, 2011

But in the garden of simple ...

The good mood continues. I know, I'm even starting to freak myself out. Though I did have a few moments of pettiness the last three days. Actaully it works out to one each day, so I guess that's not too bad. The cardinal rule is to never piss off your librarian. Especially not when I am the librarian in question. I will continue to smile at you, and tell you everything that you don't want to (but need to) hear. And then, once you have gone, I will fuck you up! Some examples of this from the last few days are:

  • I will send emails to my boss letting her know in advance all about the little temper tantrum you had because your supended account wouldn't let you use the internet. I will also include the details of how you demanded that I find a way to work around the software just so you could use the internet, becasue you are a library patron and you pay your rates. (Seriously, when the rates argument comes out it's time to go home, you're only embarassing yourself).
  • I will make sure that the book you still haven't finished reading, even though you've had it for 9 fucking weeks, will be given a chance to be borrowed by someone else. (Even if that someone happens to be Miss R, who thought the whole thing was hysterical, especially when I produced the book at the end of the story).
  • And lastly, arguing with me about the library's opening time will not make me open the doors any earlier. We run on council time. All the clocks are set to council time. I don't care what your watch says, and jumping up and down won't change anything, though it may improve you chance of a heart attack and given that it's been a really long time since I did CPR I really don't think I feel comfortable thumping on your chest. Actually, that's not true. I could have happily thumped this woman.

I'm not good first thing in the morning, as anyone who knows me will attest to. Anyone that tries to talk to me for that first hour ... it's just better not to. Every now and then Miss R forgets this, and tries to have an indepth conversation while I'm trying to eat my cereal. It does not end well. 

Other than that life is moving along. Am looking for full time work with another library, as there seems little chance of me getting something where I am unless someone dies. I am happy in a community library, but there are a few academic library jobs advertised at the moment. Hard to know what would be best. 

Was talking to a friend about my funk, and everything that lead up to it (plus my epiphany). She said something rather interesting. She said, and I quote: "Your 'friend' is behaving like a scorned lover, not a friend. I think you're better off without her." I hadn't looked at it that way. 

I guess perspective is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment