Tuesday, January 18, 2011

other people's funk

Miss R and Ms S joined me for this evenings roast. The roast was awesome, as all my roasts are. It's hard to go wrong when they all start with garlic and onions, at least from a wog perspective. The conversation was also good. As anti-social as I am, I have to admit that I have a weakness for good conversation. I suck at small talk, mostly because I'm lousy at faking interest. Apparently this makes me a really good listener, as some people are happy just to have someone to talk at (rather than to). But I digress.

While Miss R was on clean up duty, Ms S and I had a chat about our recent brushes with "the funk." Ms S has been keeping busy, catching up with everyone she left behind since her grand tour. She freely admits that she's in denial about the whole thing, but despite that she is doing ok. The last three weeks for her have been one long play date, and felt she confident that Ms B was doing the same thing (despite the fact that Ms B has made no contact with her in the last three weeks). Ms S was therefor rather surprised to find that Ms B has not been enjoying her new freedom. In fact, Ms B has been in a serious funk. A serious laying on the couch for three weeks funk. 

Now I am the first to admit that you have no control over when a funk hits, or how long it will last for. However, I do find it a little odd that Ms B can dump her girlfriend at christmas, and then go straight into a funk over the whole situation (especially when you consider that the situation is entirely of her own making). 

I would like to say that I was a better person, and did not enjoy for a brief moment the thought of Ms L suffering her own funk over how our friendship imploded. But I can't. I may be an arsehole, but I am at least an honest arsehole. I can take a modicum of comfort that my moment of pettiness was brief. I doubt very much that she is sitting at home, watching all seven seasons of the West Wing, playing with her blythe dolls, and thinking that maybe she over-reacted, or that she misses our friendship. And if by some infinitesimal chance I am wrong (highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened), and Ms L is in a funk, then I can honestly say I take no joy in that. But like I said, it's not likely.

After all, the olive branch probably ended up in the green waste bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment